Secession American Civil War Summary History Facts, Information,
Secession American Civil War Facts
- The secession was prompted by the election of
- Lincoln was not on the ballad in Southern states but
got elected anyway.
- Lincoln was Republican which was Free Soil Party
- Free Soil meant that future states would not have slavery.
- Lincoln would not budge on this issue
- The Civil war was about the
expansion of slavery and not about abolition. Cotton
depleted the soil quickly and needed more land to expand
- Lincoln supported a constitutional amendment to legalize
slavery in the states that already were slave states.
- There were 2 secessions - Names of Confederate States in
order of secession:
- The first occurred from December 1860 - February 1861
with 7 states leaving the Union - South Carolina, Georgia,
Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Florida and Texas.
- NC seceded in the 2nd secession with Virginia, Tennessee
- 4 slave states did not secede - Missouri, Kentucky,
Maryland and Delaware.