This page contains pictures and facts about North Carolina wildlife.
Salamanders - "The Appalachian region is well known for the salamanders
that shelter beneath decaying logs and leaves."
Reader's Digest North American Wildlife
I have added detailed information on the habitat, food, characteristics
and more about the animal that are in the links below. This is a partial
list. It includes mammals, snakes and reptiles.
Buy Animal posters and prints
Wildlife Found in North Carolina and in the Southern Appalachian
- Red Squirrel
- Gray Squirrel
- Eastern Chipmunk
- Wild Turkey (seen in many neighborhoods)
Black Panther (many years ago)
- Mountain Bob Cat
- Groundhog (lives on the side of many roads)
- Osprey (nests found around Fontana Lake)
- Timber Rattlesnake
- Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake
- Cottonmouth (water moccasin)
- King snake